Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4 2008

3:00 pm

Noticed one JacKite up on the field. Went over to see what was happening. My first thoughts were that this was way too soon to put any of the devices up.

However, when I got there I met with the grower and he said the pressure was starting, mostly coming from the southwest corner. Sure enough I saw evidence that some berries were being eaten or punctured for the fruit.

There is only 1 out of 500 that are close to ripe. The other 498 are small and green.

So this is a new development and new behavior I have not seen before. Perhaps, with the crop being so late, the few berries that are ripe are highly valued by the Starlings at this time of the season...which is late.

The grower deployed 2 Osprey JacKites in the center of the field, with 2 squawker boxes.

The grower asked if I would help deploy the 14 other JacKites, and Helikites. I will try to do this either Sunday or Monday.

Reflection: I normally would not want to deploy any repellant just yet...seems way to early. However, if the issue is trying to get on top of things as soon as first predation occurs (when the "scout" birds) show up, then responding at this time is consistent with the principle of responding at first nibble. The grower also said this seems early, but predation and pressure is happening.

CS

REMEMBER: The villain is the Starling. It is not the grower.

No comments: