Thursday, July 17, 2008

July 17 2008

7:45 am

I moved the Bald Eagle JK north to the west-center of the field; moved 5 JK's south, and one to north center end. This makes it look like the other JK's have given the eagle wide spacing. Took 30 minutes.

Grower monitoring. Fired off 6 screamers between 8:15-9:00 am.

Observed 7 robins, 4 finches, 1 Cedar wax wing, no Starlings. Saw flock of 20 Starlings fly in to trees near my house.

I am hearing some Lp cannons going off in the distance...nothing nearby.

7:15 pm

Grower monitoring fieild, shot off 1 screamer.

CS

REMEMBER: The villain is the Starling. It is not the grower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Scarecrow,
from time to time I have monitored bird activity in my neighbour's field here in Abbotsford BC. We have very few starlings in our area. Mostly I have watched robins and small song birds like finches eat my neighbour's berries.

These birds are totally unphased by his 3 triple shot cannons.

I also notice that they tend to eat a lot from the ground, especially the robins. So I am not sure that these types of birds are as great a threat as some growers seem to think.

If saving every berry is truly the objective, why don't growers simply net their fields and their worries would be over. Their neighbours would love them for it as well!

Thanks for the insightful Blog.