Monday, July 14, 2008

July 13 2008

11:50 am

Saw a flock of approx. 300 Starlings launching up out of a manure lagoon 2 miles to the south. and landing in nearby trees by dairy barns.

Grower in field, monitoring. No actions taken.

I decided to leave the number and configuration of JK's the same as yesterday. I will change tomorrow morning.

4:00 pm

Flew a stunt kite near the NW corner of the field. [See pictures and video]




Yes I know, you think this is pretty silly. Perhaps. Again you must remember the axiom: "You've got to throw everything and the kitchen sink at the birds..."? Can't fly a sink, but I can a kite. Think about getting some 12-14 year olds out flying these things twice a week (depending on wind). Encourage, nurture, even pay them to have fun! Perhaps this one more tool in your arsenal will be of value. I know I had fun. Also taught my daughter how to fly too.

During this one hour, I observed 1 robin and no Starlings.

5:30-9:00 pm

Grower working on maintanence items in field and monitoring.

7:30 pm

I went over to catch-up on things with grower, and inform I was going to change the configuration of JK's tomorrow morning.

Grower happily stated, "There are NO birds." We both commented that it seems the JK's are working. Grower very happy.

There were some birds present, but the grower was pleased, even though I observed: 5 robins, 1 finch, and 5 Starlings. All were entrying and exiting field to my woods.

Earlier this afternoon a flock of 50 Starlings landed in a tree by my house. I shot 5-6, with the rest scattering.

CS

REMEMBER: The villain is the Starling. It is not the grower.

No comments: