Sunday, July 20, 2008

July 19 2008

6:45 am

I went out and moved 7 JK's, and moved the Bald Eagle to the very NW corner of the field. Took 30.

Observed, that the early variety (west rows) is about 75% ripe-blue.

Observed, 11 robins, 1 finch, no Starlings.

Observed, 1 Rough-legged hawk 1/4 mile west flying above the road heading north. Later I think s/he perched on a telephone pole 1/2 mile NW of field.

Observed a flock of 40-60 Starlings landing in a section of a field recently injected with liquid manure. They were 1/2 mile north of the berry field. Did not see any Starlings in or near the berry field.

8:30-10:30 am

Grower monitoring field, fired 1 screamer at 9:15 am.

10:15 am

Met grower in field, saying he saw some birds earlier, but none now. I agreed. He says, Monday they will start hand-picking with 25-30 field laborers.

11:40 am

Vulture checking out a new thing I am trying at the NW corner of the field. More on this later.

Approx 25 Starlings flew from dairy farm nearby to my woods.

12:30 pm

Approx 50 Starlings flew into my woods; I shot at them, they scattered, but re-landed in the woods shortly afterward.

1:00 pm

Observed a solitary Bald Eagle south of the field about 500 feet, transiting rapidly east to west at about 600 feet elevation.

5:00 pm

I went to the field to check the eagle JK. Observed no birds of any kind in the field.

5:15 pm

Observed "my" Rough-legged hawk in my woods go after Starlings that were roosting at the tops of the cedar trees. S/he was quite agressive, with pronounced vocals. This got the Starlings broke up and scattered. Vocals really compliment the squawker.

6:00-7:20 pm

Grower monitoring field. Fired off 1 screamer.

7:00+ pm

Cannons being fired NW of my area. Sounds like triple-shooters.

CS

REMEMBER: The villain is the Starling. It is not the grower.

No comments: