Wednesday, August 6, 2008

August 6 2008

I could say the effort is over for now. The field work and experiments with quiet alternatives have ended...as far as I can see.

I hope to use the Helikites and JacKites on another field if a grower is interested...still have extra helium, and why put these guys to bed when they can still be working for someone else.

In the days ahead, there will be fewer posts, certainly not on an every day basis...whew its been an intense 5 weeks. I hope to sit back and do some reflecting on what happened this growing season in this one blueberry field. Perhaps some of it will be transferable to and for other growers?!

I am so thankful for having the opportunity to be given this chance to try some things out in this particular field. For this blueberry grower, who I did not know very well, to give me basically "carte blanc" in access to this field...well that was bold and risky: "Who is this crazy yaa-hoo who plays with flying bird kites on bamboo poles?" Yet he granted such access. As the summer progressed, we gained a growing trusting relationship. Perhaps a bit tentative throughout. But with the "proof-in-the-pudding" end results "...so little damage...", I think our relationship has solidified.

This blueberry grower is to be greatly appreciated and praised. Thank you my friend.

CS

REMEMBER: The villain is the Starling. It is not the grower.

No comments: